June 2015 Apiary launched a new service called VPS.
VPS is designed to help people with Apple Mac, and increase trader mobility.
A fast computer with a fast internet connection is a necessity for a trader. It’s crucial in order to execute trades for the prices you want. However, a fast computer is costly, and not everybody is computer savvy and knows how to maintain their computer. No matter how fast a computer is, without proper maintenance it will slow down eventually. In the last few years, it’s become a trend to use VPS (Virtual Private Server) to increase trading performance.
Virtual Private Server acts like a computer, but in the cloud. A trader installs their trading platform (such as Alveo) and all of their trading activities are executed through the VPS. The trader’s computer or laptop only acts as a ‘keyboard’ to control the VPS.
The benefit of using VPS are :
- VPS works faster in transmitting the orders then an ordinary computer or laptop. This may reduce slippage.
- Trader can trade from anywhere with different machines (computer,laptop,iPad, tablets, etc). Say a trader’s laptop is broken, the trader doesn’t need to worry about his/her trading because all of the trades are in the VPS. The trader just needs to find/borrow a laptop with an internet connection then login to the VPS to secure his/her trading positions. In the past, traders have needed to reinstall all software and equipment again in order to access the trades.
- Save money because trader does not have to buy ‘high end’ computers to get fast trade execution.
- In case of power failure event, VPS will keep the trading position (including Take Profit and Stop Loss), so all strategy and pending orders will proceed as normal until the trader has access to VPS.
- A trader will not need to waste time maintaining their computer, since VPS usually already has their own IT team to make sure it runs 24/7 without problem.