Have you ever watched those inspirational videos about people who do amazing things, and you commit to becoming a better person? I love those videos, and I think that they do a lot of good in reminding me of the person I want to become. However, sometimes I set up unrealistic expectations for myself. I tend to find myself being a completely new, inspired person for about an hour until I revert back to just being me. So how do you make a resolution that lasts? Here are some tips I’ve found to be helpful:
- Sit down and make a list of what really makes you happy. This one is easy, on my list I put things like my family, the mountains, running, and watching movies.
- Decide what you’re doing right now that isn’t making you happy and is a waste of time. This one is more tricky. You might have to put something that might be fun or a habit, but isn’t really helpful in your life. I put down things like checking social media late at night, being drawn into watching too many tv show episodes, or always being just a couple minute late everywhere I go.
- Make a plan to change your lifestyle to include things that make you happy, and get rid of those things that are time wasters. DO NOT set unrealistic expectations for yourself. We’re all human, and it’s hard to break habits. Make changes that slowly transform your bad habits to good ones. For example, going to bed half an hour earlier instead of changing your bedtime to 8:30 when you usually go to bed at 12.
- Commit yourself. When you make a mistake or fall back on an old habit, stop, and learn from it. Then don’t do it anymore. It sounds really simple, but you really have to work hard to remember and keep up the small changes.
- Be happy with who you are. Be happy with who you are, but never satisfied so that you are continually improving yourself.
Good Luck! And Happy New Year! ____________________________________________